And Jesus said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men." Mark 1:17

Monday, February 7, 2011

Mission Team Report-North Alabama Family Mission Team


B
elow is a brief update from a mission team that served in Belize January 29-February 5. The team, from North Alabama, worshiped at Belmopan Baptist Church and Faith Baptist Church on Sunday and served at the Cayo Deaf Institute (CDI) during the week.


A week at CDI (By: Ingram S)......... How do you begin to describe an event that turned out to be nothing like you expected? As I prepared for this trip to Belize I began to make assumptions and have expectations of how I hoped to impact those I met. As it turns out when I reached the deaf institute I was the one who was changed. This realization occurred to me when I realized I was not going to be able to see them again for a whole year. That thought made me so sad.

Though facing a troubling environment and facing the additional challenges of a life without sound, these children radiate with joy and cast this happiness onto those around them regardless of familiarity. These experiences led me to believe that though we have materialistic advantages to offer, the children of this deaf institution have a much better gift. The gift of joy! The joy of these children was evident as their innocent, life-filled laughter radiates into your heart. The time you spend with these kids is what they hunger for not money or pity. They relish (and even find humor in) the time we take to attempt to “talk” to them by signing. They also are free with spontaneous hugs and laughter. They lead simple and pure lives. They don't wish for things that we think might make them happy. Love and acceptance of who they are and the assurance that they are wanted is what these children starve for.

A four letter word L-O-V-E. It really is simple. A home is where this love is present. It is in this such place the children of CDI are flourishing. A home, where they are cared for. A home where there is family, friends and God. It is in this place where I found myself, right in the middle of these children's home, yet I did not feel like an outsider. Though I had never met any of them, these children made me feel like I was a part of their family. Among all my experiences I believe I will most sincerely miss the time I shared with these children. Though the experiences that occur can never be written down on paper they are forever imprinted upon my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment